Re: patch: to_string, to_array functions

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch: to_string, to_array functions
Date: 2010-07-12 06:31:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Why did you add to_string() and to_array() functions though we already
have string_to_array() and array_to_string() functions? I prefer adding
three arguments version of string_to_array() instead of to_array().
Please notice me if you think to_string() and to_array() are better names
for the feature. For example, compatibility for other databases.

* string_to_array( str text, sep text, nullstr text DEFAULT NULL )
is compatible with the existing string_to_array( str, sep ), and
"nullstr => 'NULL'" will be same as your to_array().

* array_to_string( arr anyarray, sep text, nullstr text DEFAULT NULL )
is compatible with the existing array_to_string(); separator also ignored
when nullstr is NULL. "nullstr => ''" (an empty string) will be same as
your to_array().

--
Itagaki Takahiro