Re: libpq changes for synchronous replication

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq changes for synchronous replication
Date: 2010-12-06 05:54:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> The one time this year top-posting seems appropriate...this patch seems
> stalled waiting for some sort of response to the concerns Alvaro raised
> here.

Sorry for the delay. I didn't have the time.

> I gave this a look. It seems good, but I'm not sure about this bit:

Thanks for the review!

> I guess this was OK when this was conceived as CopyXlog, but since it's
> now a generic mechanism, this seems a bit unwise. Should this be
> reconsidered so that it's possible to change the format or number of
> columns?

I changed CopyBothResponse message so that it includes the format
and number of columns of copy data. Please see the attached patch.

> (The paragraph added to the docs is also a bit too specific about this
> being used exclusively in streaming replication, ISTM)

Yes. But it seems difficult to generalize the docs more because currently
only SR uses Copy-both. So I had to write that, for example, the condition
to get into the state is only "START REPLICATION" command.

> While modifying the code, it occurred to me that we might have to add new
> ExecStatusType like PGRES_COPY_BOTH and use that for CopyBoth mode,
> for the sake of consistency. But since it's just alias of PGRES_COPY_BOTH
> for now, i.e., there is no specific behavior for that ExecStatusType, I
> don't
> think that it's worth adding that yet.
>

> I'm not so sure about this. If we think that it's worth adding a new
> possible state, we should do so now; we will not be able to change this
> behavior later.

OK. I added that new state.

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
libpqrcv_send_v4.patch application/octet-stream 17.4 KB