Re: Add support for logging the current role

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add support for logging the current role
Date: 2011-02-10 09:56:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 04:10, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> Yeah, doesn't seem to work for me (missing '/bin/collateindex.pl',
> apparently..).

You might need "yum install openjade stylesheets" or similar packages
and re-"configure".

> Ok, I've cleaned up that part of the documentation to be a table instead
> of the listings that were there, seems like a better approach anyway.

Yeah, that's a good job!

>> I agree that it's logically good design, but we could not accept it
>> as long as it breaks tools in the real world...
> If it does, I think it's pretty clear that those tools are themselves
> broken..

The word "break" was my wrong choice, but your new parameter still
requires very wide monitors to display SHOW ALL and pg_settings.
I'd like to solve the issue even though the feature itself is useful.
One fast and snappy solution might be to set the default value to
"default", that means the compatible set of columns.
Other better ideas?

For implementation, write_csvlog() has many following lines:
if (curr_field != num_fields) appendStringInfoChar(&buf, ',');
It will be cleaner if we add first_col flag and move it out of
the switch statement.

Other questions I raised before might be matters of preference.
I'd like to here about them form third person.
* name: log_csv_fields vs. csvlog_fields
* when to assign: PGC_POSTMASTER vs. PGC_SIGHUP

--
Itagaki Takahiro