Re: inherit support for foreign tables

From: <furuyao(at)pm(dot)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <teranishih(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: inherit support for foreign tables
Date: 2014-11-07 07:54:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> (2014/08/28 18:00), Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > (2014/08/22 11:51), Noah Misch wrote:
> >> Today's ANALYZE VERBOSE messaging for former inheritance parents
> >> (tables with relhassubclass = true but no pg_inherits.inhparent
> >> links) is deceptive, and I welcome a fix to omit the spurious
> >> message. As defects go, this is quite minor. There's fundamentally
> >> no value in collecting inheritance tree statistics for such a parent,
> >> and no PostgreSQL command will do so.

> >> credible alternative is to emit a second message indicating that we
> >> skipped the inheritance tree statistics after all, and why we skipped
> >> them.
>
> > I'd like to address this by emitting the second message as shown below:
>
> > A separate patch (analyze.patch) handles the former case in a similar
> way.
>
> I'll add to the upcoming CF, the analyze.patch as an independent item,
> which emits a second message indicating that we skipped the inheritance
> tree statistics and why we skipped them.

I did a review of the patch.
There was no problem.
I confirmed the following.

1. applied cleanly and compilation was without warnings and errors
2. all regress tests was passed ok
3. The message output from ANALYZE VERBOSE.

Following are the SQL which I used to check messages.

create table parent (id serial);
create table child (name text) inherits (parent);
ANALYZE VERBOSE parent ;
drop table child ;
ANALYZE VERBOSE parent ;

Furuya Osamu