Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API

From: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Andres Freund" <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Jim Mlodgenski" <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API
Date: 2014-07-08 11:55:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hanada-san,

The attached patch is revised one.
Updates from the previous version are below:

* System catalog name was changed to pg_custom_plan_provider;
that reflects role of the object being defined.
* Also, prefix of its variable names are changed to "cpp"; that
means custom-plan-provider.
* Syntax also reflects what the command does more. New syntax to
define custom plan provider is:
CREATE CUSTOM PLAN PROVIDER <cpp_name>
FOR <cpp_class> HANDLER <cpp_function>;
* Add custom-plan.sgml to introduce interface functions defined
for path/plan/exec methods.
* FinalizeCustomPlan() callback was simplified to support scan
(and join in the future) at the starting point. As long as
scan/join requirement, no need to control paramids bitmap in
arbitrary way.
* Unnecessary forward declaration in relation.h and plannode.h
were removed, but a few structures still needs to have
forward declarations.
* Fix typos being pointed out.

I'd like to see committer's suggestion regarding to the design
issues below:

* whether set_cheapest() is called for all relkind?
->according to the discussion in v9.4 cycle, I consolidated
set_cheapest() in allpaths.c to set_rel_pathlist().
Hanada-san wonder whether it is necessary to have custom-
plan on none base relations; like sub-query or values-scan.
I don't have reason why not to run custom-plan on these
non usual relations.

* how argument of add_path handler shall be derivered?
-> custom-plan handler function takes an argument with
internal data type; that is a pointer of customScanArg
if custom-plan class is "scan". (It shall be
customHashJoinArg if "hash join" for example).

Thanks,
--
NEC OSS Promotion Center / PG-Strom Project

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgsql-v9.5-custom-plan.v3.patch application/octet-stream 150.0 KB