Re: WIP - syslogger infrastructure changes

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP - syslogger infrastructure changes
Date: 2009-09-14 19:59:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 21:56, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi Magnus,
>
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>> First, the patch removes the logging_collector parameter and basically
>> assumes that logging_collector is always on.
>
> Alvaro commited this a few days ago:
> http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/doc/src/sgml/config.sgml?r1=1.225&r2=1.226
>
> Any consequence?

At this point, not really. If you log to syslog, it still goes
directly to syslog, just like before, without passing the logging
collector. That is something worth considering inthe future, though.

>> Second, data transfer from the backends is now in the form of
>> structured data, and the actual logging message is put together in the
>> syslogger (today,it's put together in the backend and just sent as a
>> string to the syslogger). Yes, this means that we will likely send
>> more data than what's eventually going to be logged, since all fields
>> don't go out (except with CVS logging, I guess). But you usually don't
>> send *that* much data in the log.
>
> I don't know if it will make a real difference but some of us log
> quite a lot of queries.

Yeah, one of the main reasons is to be able to do that using CSV (not
CVS, sorry about that typo) to stick it into logging parsers, and then
have the regular logfile available for DBA reading as well.

Anyway, we'll have to do some performance testing as well, obviously -
but I haven't done any of that yet.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/