Re: New option for pg_basebackup, to specify a different directory for pg_xlog

From: Haribabu kommi <haribabu(dot)kommi(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New option for pg_basebackup, to specify a different directory for pg_xlog
Date: 2013-11-18 15:01:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 18 November 2013 18:45 Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Haribabu kommi
> <haribabu(dot)kommi(at)huawei(dot)com> wrote:

> >> directory

> >> and

> It
> >> actually

> >> The make_absoulte_patch() function gets the current working
> directory
> >> and adds The relative path to CWD, this is not giving proper
> absolute
> >> path.
> >>
> >> I have added a new function verify_data_and_xlog_dir_same() which
> >> will change the Current working directory to data directory and gets
> >> the CWD and the same way for transaction log directory. Compare the
> >> both data and xlog directories and throw an error. Please check it
> once.
> >>
> >> Is there any other way to identify that both data and xlog
> >> directories are pointing to the same Instead of comparing both
> absolute paths?
> >>
> >> Updated patch attached in the mail.
> >
> > Failure when the xlogdir doesn't exist is fixed in the updated patch
> attached in the mail.
>
> Thanks for updating the patch!
>
> With the patch, when I specify the same directory in both -D and --
> xlogdir, I got the following error.
>
> $ cd /tmp
> $ pg_basebackup -D hoge --xlogdir=/tmp/hoge -X fetch
> pg_basebackup: could not change directory to "hoge": No such file or
> directory

Thanks. After finding the xlog directory absolute path returning back to current working
Directory is missed, because of this reason it is failing while finding the absolute
Path for data directory. Apart from this change the code is reorganized a bit.

Updated patch is attached in the mail. Please review it once.

Regards,
Hari babu.

Attachment Content-Type Size
UserSpecifiedxlogDir_v5.patch application/octet-stream 7.4 KB