Re: Missing file versions for a bunch of dll/exe files in Windows builds

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Michael Paquier" <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "pgsql-bugs" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Missing file versions for a bunch of dll/exe files in Windows builds
Date: 2014-06-21 02:47:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

From: "Michael Paquier" <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
> Yeah this trick is fine as well, but it complicates the code without
> versioning those paths :) So let's do without please and find a
> cleaner solution later on.

OK.

> Current patch would be better, conversion_procs paths are now
> correctly versioned.

OK, I tested with the current patches:

0001-Add-AddDir-calls-for-contrib.patch
0002-Add-file-versioning-for-all-core-dll-and-exe-in-MSVC.patch

They applied cleanly, and the build with MSVC succeeded.

I checked if Exes and DLLs in bin\ and lib\ have proper versioning info by
looking at the file property with Windows Explorer. I could confirm that
most contrib modules and plpgsql.dll have correct versioning ifno. The
following modules have better description now. Thanks.

bin\pg_basebackup.exe
bin\pg_receivexlog.exe
bin\pg_recvlogical.exe
bin\pg_xlogdump.exe

The below modules did not have versioning info as intended. I hope this
will be improved in the future.

bin\isolationtester.exe
bin\pg_isolation_regress
bin\pg_regress.exe
bin\pg_regress_ecpg.exe
bin\zic.exe
lib\dict_snowball.dll
lib\regress.dll

However, there seems to be two issues before marking this patch as ready for
committer.

(1)
lib\pgcrypto.dll doesn't have versioning info.

(2)
None of the conversion_procs has versioning info. But their Makefiles have
PGFILEDESC line. For example,
src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/ascii_and_mic/Makefile has the line:

NAME = ascii_and_mic
PGFILEDESC = "ascii_and_mic"

Regards
MauMau