Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]

From: Amit kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'Robert Haas'" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date: 2013-01-19 06:35:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Saturday, January 19, 2013 2:37 AM Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:

>>> On my HPUX box, the man page disapproves of both, calling them obsolete
>>> (and this man page is old enough to vote, I believe...)

>Then we have to at least consider what this old {p|s}age says... ;-)

>>> Everywhere else that we need to do something like this, we just use our
>>> own PID to disambiguate, ie
>>> sprintf(tempfilename, "/path/to/file.%d", (int) getpid());
>>> There is no need to deviate from that pattern or introduce portability
>>> issues, since we can reasonably assume that no non-Postgres programs are
>>> creating files in this directory.
>
>> Thanks for the enlightenment, I will post a new version soon.

> Here it is.

Thanks a ton for providing better modified version.
I shall test it on Monday once and then we can conclude on it.

The only point in modifications, I am not comfortable is that in error messages you have
mentioned (automatic configuration directory). I am not sure if we should use work "automatic"
for config_dir or just use configuration directory.
However I shall keep as it is if no one else has any objection. We can let committer decide about it.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.