Re: PENDING_LIST_CLEANUP_SIZE - maximum size of GIN pending list Re: HEAD seems to generate larger WAL regarding GIN index

From: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PENDING_LIST_CLEANUP_SIZE - maximum size of GIN pending list Re: HEAD seems to generate larger WAL regarding GIN index
Date: 2014-11-10 07:15:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(2014/11/06 23:38), Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM, Etsuro Fujita
> <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>> IIUC, I think that min = 0 disables fast update, so ISTM that it'd be
>> appropriate to set min to some positive value. And ISTM that the idea of
>> using the min value of work_mem is not so bad.
>
> OK. I changed the min value to 64kB.
>
>> *** 356,361 **** CREATE [ UNIQUE ] INDEX [ CONCURRENTLY ] [ <replaceable
>> class="parameter">name</
>> --- 356,372 ----
>> </listitem>
>> </varlistentry>
>> </variablelist>
>> + <variablelist>
>> + <varlistentry>
>> + <term><literal>PENDING_LIST_CLEANUP_SIZE</></term>
>>
>> The above is still in uppercse.
>
> Fixed.
>
> Attached is the updated version of the patch. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the updating the patch!

The patch looks good to me except for the following point:

*** a/src/backend/access/gin/ginfast.c
--- b/src/backend/access/gin/ginfast.c
***************
*** 25,30 ****
--- 25,32 ----
#include "utils/memutils.h"
#include "utils/rel.h"

+ /* GUC parameter */
+ int pending_list_cleanup_size = 0;

I think we need to initialize the GUC to boot_val, 4096 in this case.

I asked the opinions of others about the config_group of the GUC. But
there seems no opinions, so I agree with Fujii-san's idea of assigning
the GUC CLIENT_CONN_STATEMENT.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita