Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Ian Barwick <ian(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date: 2014-10-06 07:09:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07/18/2014 10:47 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
>> I am not opposed to moving the contrib code into core in the manner
>> that you oppose. I don't feel strongly either way.
>>
>> I noticed in passing that your revision says this *within* levenshtein.c:
>>
>> + * Guaranteed to work with Name datatype's cstrings.
>> + * For full details see levenshtein.c.
> Yeah, I looked at what I produced yesterday night again and came
> across a couple of similar things :) And reworked a couple of things
> in the version attached, mainly wordsmithing and adding comments here
> and there, as well as making the naming of the Levenshtein functions
> in core the same as the ones in fuzzystrmatch 1.0.
>
>> I imagined that when a committer picked this up, an executive decision
>> would be made one way or the other. I am quite willing to revise the
>> patch to alter this behavior at the request of a committer.
> Fine for me. I'll move this patch to the next stage then.

There are a bunch of compiler warnings:

parse_relation.c: In function ‘errorMissingColumn’:
parse_relation.c:3114:447: warning: ‘closestcol1’ may be used
uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
parse_relation.c:3066:8: note: ‘closestcol1’ was declared here
parse_relation.c:3129:29: warning: ‘closestcol2’ may be used
uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
parse_relation.c:3067:8: note: ‘closestcol2’ was declared here
levenshtein.c: In function ‘levenshtein_common’:
levenshtein.c:107:6: warning: unused variable ‘start_column_local’
[-Wunused-variable]

- Heikki