Re: documentation update for doc/src/sgml/func.sgml

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: documentation update for doc/src/sgml/func.sgml
Date: 2014-09-12 19:13:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08/21/2014 12:35 PM, Fabien COELHO wrote:

>>> I do not understand why the last sentence in the first paragraph
>>> about bitwise ops is put there with rounding issues, which seem
>>> unrelated. It seems to me that it belongs to the second paragraph
>>> which is about bitwise operators.
>>
>> That's the part which came from Josh Berkus. We discussed this patch
>> on IRC.
>
> Hmmm. I do think the last sentence belongs to the next paragraph. The
> identity of the author does not change my opinion on that point:-) If
> you have another argument, maybe.

Attached is an updated version of the patch.

>>> The wikipedia link can be simplified to a much cleaner:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_floating_point#Rounding_rules
>>
>> It can, but then you always refer to the latest version of the
>> Wikipedia page, which might or might not be a good idea. The link in
>> the patch points to the current version from yesterday, no matter how
>> many changes are introduced afterwards.
>
> I doubt that IEEE floating point rounding rules are likely to change
> much, so referencing the latest version is both safe & cleaner. Also,
> wikipedia would change its implementation from php to something else
> (well, unlikely, probably as unlikely as a change in IEEE fp rounding
> rules:-).

It's really not about the IEEE changing something, but about someone
changing the Wikipedia page. The way I linked it makes sure it always
displays the same version of the page.

Of course a general rule how to link to WP would be nice ...

Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

func.sgml.patch text/x-patch 1.2 KB