Re: mismatching proargtypes/proallargtypes (bug #10122)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mismatching proargtypes/proallargtypes (bug #10122)
Date: 2014-04-24 00:37:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> 'trinque' on irc reported that "SELECT pg_catalog.pg_identify_object(oid,
> integer, integer)'::regprocedure" doesn't work and Andrew Gierth noticed
> it's because proargtypes doesn't match proallargtypes.

Ugh, how annoying.

> Surpringsly there's no regression check testing for that.

Yeah, that's clearly an oversight :-(

> sequence_parameters is wrong in 9.1+, identify_object in 9.3+.
> Luckily neither is particularly important. It's really a pity that we
> don't have infrastructure for fixing this like this :/.
> Do we need a note in the release notes for fixing those functions?

I think it's probably non-critical, especially since it took this
long for anybody to notice. It's fortunate that the two bad cases
are just integer vs oid --- if the types weren't binary-compatible
then we'd have had bigger issues.

What I'm inclined to do in the back branches is just correct the
catalogs without bumping catversion (since we can't do that).
At least installations initdb'd in future will have it right.