Re: New option for pg_basebackup, to specify a different directory for pg_xlog

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Haribabu kommi <haribabu(dot)kommi(at)huawei(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New option for pg_basebackup, to specify a different directory for pg_xlog
Date: 2014-01-28 02:17:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/30/13, 6:59 AM, Haribabu kommi wrote:
> To detect provided data and xlog directories are same or not, I reused the
> Existing make_absolute_path() code as follows.

I note that initdb does not detect whether the data and xlog directories
are the same. I think there is no point in addressing this only in
pg_basebackup. If we want to forbid it, it should be done in initdb
foremost.

I'm not sure it's worth the trouble, but if I were to do it, I'd just
stat() the two directories and compare their inodes. That seems much
easier and more robust than comparing path strings.