Re: array_length(anyarray)

From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostGreSql hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: array_length(anyarray)
Date: 2014-01-19 13:24:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/19/14, 2:12 PM, Dean Rasheed wrote:
> That might seem overly pedantic, but it's quite annoying when API
> documentation doesn't fully specify the behaviour, and you're forced
> to use trial-and-error to find out how the functions behave.

For what it's worth, I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at
that table. Nearly *all* of them are completely inadequate at
explaining the finer details, and the user has to experiment to figure
out what actually happens. I seem to recall other similar examples in
our documentation for functions.

Personally I would like to see this fixed for all functions, not just
array functions. But I think that should be a separate patch.

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja