Re: patch: make_timestamp function

From: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch: make_timestamp function
Date: 2014-01-11 19:38:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I've done a quick review of this patch:

1) patch applies fine to the current HEAD, with a few hunks offset
by a few lines

2) the compilation fails because of duplicate OIDs in pg_proc, so
I had to change 3969-3975 to 4033-4039, then it compiles fine

3) make installcheck works fine

4) No regression tests for make_time / make_date.

5) The documentation is incomplete - make_date / make_time are missing.

6) The documentation should mention that when the 'timezone' parameter
is not set explicitly, the current timezone is used.

7) Why do the functions accept only the timezone abbreviation, not the
full name? I find it rather confusing, because the 'timezone' option
uses the full name, and we're using this as the default. But doing
'show timestamp' and using the returned value fails. Is it possible
to fix this somehow?

regards
Tomas