Re: nested hstore patch

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: nested hstore patch
Date: 2014-01-09 22:08:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/09/2014 02:11 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 01/09/2014 06:12 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Oleg,
>>
>> Please merge in the jsonb work and resubmit. See
>> <https://github.com/feodor/postgres/commits/jsonb_and_hstore> I note that
>> this repo does not apparently contain any of your latest changes.
> I'll go further and say that if the Hstore2 patch doesn't support JSONB
> for 9.4, we should postpone it to 9.5. We really don't want to get into
> a situation where we need an Hstore3 because we accepted an Hstore2
> which needs to be rev'd for JSON.
>
> Especially since there's no good reason for the JSON changes not to be
> merged already.

After some work by Oleg, for which I'm grateful, and a little more by
me, here is a combined patch for the jsonb and nested hstore work.

Outstanding issues with the jsonb stuff:

* I have replicated all the json processing functions for jsonb
(although not the json generating functions, such as to_json). Most
of these currently work by turning the jsonb back into json and then
processing as before. I am sorting out some technical issues and
hope to have all of these rewritten to use the native jsonb API in a
few days time.
* We still need to document jsonb. That too I hope will be done quite
shortly.
* The jsonb regression test currently contains U+ABCD - I guess we'd
better use some hex encoding or whatever for that - unlike json, the
jsonb de-serializer dissolves unicode escapes.

cheers

andrew

Attachment Content-Type Size
nested_hstore_and_jsonb.patch text/x-patch 520.8 KB