Re: gaussian distribution pgbench

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: KONDO Mitsumasa <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gaussian distribution pgbench
Date: 2013-11-21 17:13:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30.09.2013 07:12, KONDO Mitsumasa wrote:
> (2013/09/27 5:29), Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> This patch no longer applies.
> I will try to create this patch in next commit fest.
> If you have nice idea, please send me!

A few thoughts on this:

1. DBT-2 uses a non-uniform distribution. You can use that instead of
pgbench.

2. Do we really want to add everything and the kitchen sink to pgbench?
Every addition is small when considered alone, but we'll soon end with a
monster. So I'm inclined to reject this patch on those grounds.

3. That said, this could be handy. But it would be even more handy if
you could get Gaussian random numbers with \setrandom, so that you could
use this with custom scripts. And once you implement that, do we
actually need the -g flag anymore? If you want TPC-B transactions with
gaussian distribution, you can write a custom script to do that. The
documentation includes a full script that corresponds to the built-in
TPC-B script.

So what I'd actually like to see is \setgaussian, for use in custom scripts.

- Heikki