Re: ECPG FETCH readahead

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: ECPG FETCH readahead
Date: 2013-11-11 09:17:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Boszormenyi Zoltan escribió:
>>> You need to update the dblink regression tests.
>> Done.
> Dude, this is an humongous patch. I was shocked by it initially, but on
> further reading, I observed that it's only a huge patch which also does
> some mechanical changes to test output. I think it'd be better to split
> the part that's responsible for the changed lines in test output
> mentioning "ecpg_process_output". That should be a reasonably small
> patch which changes ecpg_execute slightly and adds the new function, is
> followed by the enormous resulting mechanical changes in test output.
> It should be possible to commit that relatively quickly. Then there's
> the rest of the patch, which would adds a huge pile of new code.
>
> I think there are some very minor changes to backend code as well --
> would it make sense to post that as a separate piece?

I had to rebase the patch against current (today morning's) GIT, since
there were a few changes against ECPG in the meantime.

The old contents of my GIT repository was removed so you need to
clone it fresh. https://github.com/zboszor/ecpg-readahead.git
I won't post the humongous patch again, since sending a 90KB
compressed file to everyone on the list is rude. You can pull
the commits individually from the above repository. For the same
reason, I won't add the DECLARE CURSOR command tag change
separately since this is also part of this big feature.

I have reordered some patches, like some independent bug fixes
against the ECPG parser and regression tests. The backend change
is also added early.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

--