Re: review: psql and pset without any arguments

From: Gilles Darold <gilles(dot)darold(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Marc Mamin <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de>
Subject: Re: review: psql and pset without any arguments
Date: 2013-09-29 08:46:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le 07/09/2013 21:22, Pavel Stehule a écrit :

> [...]
> >
> > * patch is cleanly patchable and compilation is without warnings
> > * all regression tests passed
> > * no impact on dump, performance or any current features
> > * no comments to programming style
> > * we would this feature - it is consistent with \set and it gives a
> > fast resume about psql printer settings
> >
> > Issues:
> > 1) it doesn't show linestyle when is default
> >
> > I looked there and it is probably a small different issue - this
> value
> > is initialized as NULL as default. But I dislike a empty output in
> > this case:
> >
> > else if (strcmp(param, "linestyle") == 0)
> > {
> > if (!popt->topt.line_style)
> > ;
> > else
> > printf(_("Line style is %s.\n"),
> > get_line_style(&popt->topt)->name);
> > }
> >
> > I propose a verbose result instead nothing:
> >
> > else if (strcmp(param, "linestyle") == 0)
> > {
> > if (!popt->topt.line_style)
> > printf(_("Line style is unset.\n")) ;
> > else
> > printf(_("Line style is %s.\n"),
> > get_line_style(&popt->topt)->name);
> > }
>
> +1 to show the information even if linestyle is not set but by default
> get_line_style() return "ascii" if linestyle is not set. So maybe
> it is
> better to rewrite it as follow:
>
> else if (strcmp(param, "linestyle") == 0)
> {
> printf(_("Line style is %s.\n"),
> get_line_style(&popt->topt)->name);
> }
>
> This will output:
>
> Line style is ascii.
>
> when linestyle is not set or of course it is set to ascii.
>
> > 2) there is only one open question
> >
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/B6F6FD62F2624C4C9916AC0175D56D880CE00E0E@jenmbs01.ad.intershop.net
> > - there is no clean relation between output and some pset option.
> >
> > I don't think so Marc' proposal is ideal (these values are not a
> > variables) - but maybe some enhanced output (only for this
> resume) can
> > be better:
> >
> > postgres=# \pset
> > Output format (format) is aligned.
> > Border style (border) is 1.
> > Expanded display (expanded) is off.
> > Null display (null) is "".
> > Field separator (fieldsep) is "|".
> > Tuples only (tuples_only) is off.
> > Title (title) is unset.
> > Table attributes (tableattr) unset.
> > Pager (pager) is used for long output.
> > Record separator (recordsep) is <newline>.
> >
> > This expanded output should be used only for this resume (not when a
> > option was changed or individual ask on option value)
>
> Yes this could be a good accommodation but I really prefer to not
> duplicate code and translation between this resume and the output when
> these options are set. If we can print the same output messages using:

Hello,

Sorry for the delay, here is the new patch. The \pset output will look
like follow:

postgres=# \pset
Border style (border) is 1.
Target width (columns) unset.
Expanded display (expanded) is off.
Field separator (fieldsep) is "|".
Default footer (footer) is on.
Output format (format) s aligned.
Line style (linestyle) is ascii.
Null display (null) is "".
Locale-adjusted numeric output (numericlocale) is off.
Pager (pager) is used for long output.
Record separator (recordsep) is <newline>.
Table attributes (tableattr) unset.
Title (title) unset.
Tuples only (tuples_only) is off.

postgres=# \pset null #
Null display (null) is "#".
postgres=#

This also mean that all translation strings of those messages should be
updated.

If we don't want to modify those messages, I can provide an other patch
which print output as follow:

postgres=# \pset
border: Border style is 1.
columns: Target width unset.
expanded: Expanded display is off.
fieldsep: Field separator is "|".
footer: Default footer is on.
format: Output format is aligned.
linestyle: Line style is ascii.
null: Null display is "".
numericlocale: Locale-adjusted numeric output is off.
pager: Pager is used for long output.
recordsep: Record separator is <newline>.
tableattr: Table attributes unset.
title: Title unset.
tuples_only: Tuples only is off.

postgres=# \pset null #
Null display is "#".
postgres=#

I think the first output is better but it need translation work. Let me
know.

Gilles Darold
Administrateur de bases de données
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org