Re: Improvement of checkpoint IO scheduler for stable transaction responses

From: KONDO Mitsumasa <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improvement of checkpoint IO scheduler for stable transaction responses
Date: 2013-06-14 08:52:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(2013/06/12 23:07), Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> On 10 June 2013 11:51, KONDO Mitsumasa <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>>> I create patch which is improvement of checkpoint IO scheduler for stable
>>> transaction responses.
>>
>> Looks like good results, with good measurements. Should be an
>> interesting discussion.
>
> +1.
>
> I suspect we want to poke at the algorithms a little here and maybe
> see if we can do this without adding new GUCs. Also, I think this is
> probably two separate patches, in the end. But the direction seems
> good to me.
Thank you for comment!

I separate my patch in checkpoint-wirte and in checkpoint-fsync. As you
say, my patch has a lot of new GUCs. I don't think it cannot be decided
automatic. However, it is difficult that chekpoint-scheduler is suitable
for all of enviroments which are like virtual server, public cloude server,
and embedded server, etc. So I think that default setting parameter works
same as before. Setting parameter is primitive and difficult, but if we can
set correctly, it is suitable for a lot of enviroments and will not work
unintended action.

I try to take something into consideration about less GUCs version. And if you
have good idea, please discussion about this!

Best Regards,
--
Mitsumasa KONDO
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
Improvement_of_checkpoint_io-scheduler_in_write_v1.patch text/x-diff 6.0 KB
Improvement_of_checkpoint_io-scheduler_in_fsynci_v1.patch text/x-diff 5.7 KB