Re: pg_stat_statements: calls under-estimation propagation

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Daniel Farina <drfarina(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_statements: calls under-estimation propagation
Date: 2013-03-26 10:54:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30.12.2012 08:31, Daniel Farina wrote:
> A version implementing that is attached, except I generate an
> additional 64-bit session not exposed to the client to prevent even
> casual de-leaking of the session state. That may seem absurd, until
> someone writes a tool that de-xors things and relies on it and then
> nobody feels inclined to break it. It also keeps the public session
> number short.
>
> I also opted to save the underestimate since I'm adding a handful of
> fixed width fields to the file format anyway.

This patch needs documentation. At a minimum, the new calls_underest
field needs to be listed in the description of the pg_stat_statements.

Pardon for not following the discussion: What exactly does the
calls_underest field mean? I couldn't decipher it from the patch. What
can an admin do with the value? How does it compare with just bumping up
pg_stat_statements.max?

- Heikki