Re: Enabling Checksums

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enabling Checksums
Date: 2013-02-25 06:30:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Attached is some bit rot updates to the checksums patches. The
replace-tli one still works fine. I fixed a number of conflicts in the
larger patch. The one I've attached here isn't 100% to project
standards--I don't have all the context diff tools setup yet for
example. I expect to revise this more now that I've got the whole week
cleared to work on CF submissions.

Here's the bit rot fixes:

src/backend/commands/vacuumlazy.c: Changed a call to look like this:

1157 visibilitymap_set(onerel, blkno, buffer,
InvalidXLogRecPtr, *vmbuffer,
1158 visibility_cutoff_xid);

To match calling order and make complier warnings go away.

src/backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr.c : merged against some changes
related to unlogged table buffer management. Merge seems clean once
done by hand.

src/include/catalog/pg_control.h: The patch used this value for XLOG_HINT:
#define XLOG_HINT 0x90

That's now been used for XLOG_END_OF_RECOVERY so I made it 0xA0 instead:
#define XLOG_HINT 0xA0

Unrelated to merge issues, I saw this in the patch:

localbuf.c: XXX do we want to write checksums for local buffers? An option?

And wanted to highlight this concern is still floating around.

checksums-20130224.patch text/plain 63.5 KB
replace-tli-with-checksums-20130124.patch text/plain 47.1 KB