Proposed change for 9.3(?): Require full restart to change fsync parameter, not just pg_ctl reload

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, "Harold A(dot) Giménez" <harold(dot)gimenez(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Proposed change for 9.3(?): Require full restart to change fsync parameter, not just pg_ctl reload
Date: 2012-07-16 01:54:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Hi all

Some performance improvements have been proposed - probably for 9.3 -
that will mean the `fsync' GUC can only be changed with a full cluster
restart. See quoted, at end of message.

It is currently possible to change `fsync' by altering postgresql.conf
and issuing a `pg_ctl reload' . It is not clear how safe this really is
even now, and changes proposed to reduce the amount of expensive
bookkeeping done when fsync is set to 'off' will make it even less safe.
Consequently, it is proposed that the ability to change the fsync
setting while Pg is running be removed.

fsync=off is very unsafe anyway, and these days production setups are
able to get similar results with async commits and group commit.

Is there anyone here relying on being able to change fsync=off to
fsync=on at runtime? If so, what for, and what does it gain you over use
of group/async commit?

For related discussion see the -hackers thread:

"DELETE vs TRUNCATE explanation"

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMkU=1yLXvODRZZ_=fgrEeJfk2tvZPTTD-8n8BwrAhNz_WBT0A@mail.gmail.com

and the background threads:

"PostgreSQL db, 30 tables with number of rows < 100 (not huge) - the
fastest way to clean each non-empty table and reset unique identifier
column of empty ones."

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFXpGYbgmZYij4TgCbOF24-usoiDD0ASQeaVAkYtB7E2TYm8Wg@mail.gmail.com

"DELETE vs TRUNCATE explanation"

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4FFCCAC4.4030503@ringerc.id.au