Re: includeifexists in configuration file

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: includeifexists in configuration file
Date: 2011-12-15 11:54:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/12/2011 04:47 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I have briefly looked at the code (but not tried to apply or build
> it), and modulo the naming issue it looks OK to me.
> Unless there is some other issue let's just get it applied. It looks
> like almost a no-brainer to me.

It isn't very fancy, but is does something people that can fit into a
couple of use-cases. Attached update has two changes to address the
suggestions I got, which closes everything I knew about with this one:

-It's now include_if_exists
-Files that are skipped are logged now

So current behavior:

$ tail -n 1 postgresql.conf
include 'missing.conf'
$ start
server starting
$ tail $PGLOG
LOG: could not open configuration file
"/home/gsmith/pgwork/data/include-exists/missing.conf": No such file or
directory
FATAL: configuration file
"/home/gsmith/pgwork/data/include-exists/postgresql.conf" contains errors

And new behavior:

$ vi $PGDATA/postgresql.conf
$ tail -n 1 postgresql.conf
include_if_exists 'missing.conf'
$ start
server starting
$ tail $PGLOG
LOG: skipping missing configuration file
"/home/gsmith/pgwork/data/include-exists/missing.conf"
LOG: database system was shut down at 2011-12-15 06:48:46 EST
LOG: database system is ready to accept connections

include-exists-v2.patch text/x-patch 5.2 KB