Re: Core Extensions relocation

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Core Extensions relocation
Date: 2011-11-14 09:08:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've revived the corpose of the patch submitted in May, now that it's a
much less strange time of the development cycle to consider it.
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4DF048BD.8040302@2ndquadrant.com
was the first attempt to move some extensions from contrib/ to a new
src/extension/ directory. I have fixed the main complaints from the
last submit attempt, that I accidentally grabbed some old makesfiles and
CVS junk. The new attempt is attached, and is easiest to follow with
the a diff view that understands "moved a file", like github's:
https://github.com/greg2ndQuadrant/postgres/compare/master...core-extensions

You can also check out the docs changes done so far at
http://www.highperfpostgres.com/docs/html/extensions.html I reorganized
the docs to break out what I decided to tentatively name "Core
Extensions" into their own chapter. They're no longer mixed in with the
rest of the contrib modules, and I introduce them a bit differently.
I'm not completely happy on the wordering there yet. The use of both
"modules" and "extensions" is probably worth eliminating, and maybe that
continues on to doing that against the language I swiped from the
contrib intro too. There's also a lot of shared text at the end there,
common wording from that and the contrib page about how to install and
migrate these extensions. Not sure how to refactor it out into another
section cleanly though.

core-extensions-v2.patch text/x-patch 267.7 KB