Re: Review of VS 2010 support patches

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Review of VS 2010 support patches
Date: 2011-07-07 14:44:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7/07/2011 8:26 AM, Brar Piening wrote:
> As before "perltidy_before.patch" has to be applied first and
> "VS2010v9.patch" second.

OK, I've gone through builds with way too many versions of the Windows
SDK and have test results to report.

The short version: please commit so I never, ever, ever have to do this
again ;-) . I don't see anything newly broken; the only issues I hit
were in master as well, and are probably related to local configuration
issues and/or the sheer profusion of Windows SDK releases I've burdened
my poor laptop with.

Note that x64 builds reported below are configured for plperl and
plpython only. Other config.pl options are left at 'undef'.

Test results:
=============

VS 2005
-------

- SDK 6.0 (VS 2005) x86: OK, vcregress check passed

- SDK 6.0 (VS 2005) x64: OK, vcregress check passed

VS 2008
-------

- SDK 6.1 (VS 2008) x86: OK, vcregress check passed

- SDK 6.1 (VS 2008) x64: Failed - vcbuild exited with code 255.
(Also fails on unpatched git master x64)
Since I'm getting crash report dialogs from
vcbuild, I'm not inclined to blame Pg for this
issue.

- SDK 6.1 (VS 2008) x64 (only plperl enabled): OK, vcregress passed

VS 2010
-------

- SDK 7.0A (VS 2010) x86: OK, vcregress passed
- SDK 7.0A (VS 2010) x64: [Pending, missing x64 tools]

Latest Windows SDK
------------------

- SDK 7.1 x86: OK, vcregress passed
- SDK 7.1 x64: OK (incl. plpython), vcregress passed

Won't test:
===========

- itanium. Does Pg build for itanium as things stand, anyway? Would
anybody notice or care if it didn't?

Not tested yet, unsure if I'll have time

- vcregress plcheck, vcregress contrib for each combo

- x64 builds with anything more than plperl and plpython enabled.
Library availability is a bit of an issue, and building all those
libraries for x64 is outside what I can currently commit to, especially
as they all require different build methods and some appear to require
patches/fixes to build at all.

- ossp-uuid . No binaries available, doesn't have an NMakefile or
vs project, and

Frankly, I suggest leaving these tests for the buildfarm to sort out. I
don't see any sign of build process issues; they all build fine, and
it's pretty darn unlikely that build changes would cause them to break
at runtime. Windows buildfarm coverage looks pretty decent these days.

--
Craig Ringer

POST Newspapers
276 Onslow Rd, Shenton Park