Re: [PERFORM] pgbench to the MAXINT

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] pgbench to the MAXINT
Date: 2011-02-07 16:03:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

The update on the work to push towards a bigger pgbench is that I now
have the patch running and generating databases larger than any
previously possible scale:

$ time pgbench -i -s 25000 pgbench
2500000000 tuples done.
real 258m46.350s
user 14m41.970s
sys 0m21.310s

$ psql -d pgbench -c "select
pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size('pgbench_accounts'));"
pg_size_pretty
----------------
313 GB

$ psql -d pgbench -c "select
pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size('pgbench_accounts_pkey'));"
pg_size_pretty
----------------
52 GB

$ time psql -d pgbench -c "select count(*) from pgbench_accounts"
count
------------
2500000000

real 18m48.363s
user 0m0.010s
sys 0m0.000s

The only thing wrong with the patch sent already needed to reach this
point was this line:

for (k = 0; k < naccounts * scale; k++)

Which needed a (int64) cast for the multiplied value in the middle there.

Unfortunately the actual test itself doesn't run yet. Every line I see
when running the SELECT-only test says:

client 0 sending SELECT abalance FROM pgbench_accounts WHERE aid = 1;

So something about the updated random generation code isn't quite right
yet. Now that I have this monster built, I'm going to leave it on the
server until I can sort that out, which hopefully will finish up in the
next day or so.