Re: Visual Studio 2010/Windows SDK 7.1 support

From: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Visual Studio 2010/Windows SDK 7.1 support
Date: 2011-02-06 22:06:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 21:26:22 +0100, Magnus Hagander
<magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> it's not something we should hold up the CF / release for.

I agree.
At least it should get some more testing besides mine.

I've set up virtual machines with VS 2003, VS 2005 Express, VS 2008
Express (+ my PC with VS 2010) for testing purposes but I didn't test
all possible build paths with respect to the external libraries to include.
While I didn't change much of the existing VS 2005/8 code I currently
can't guarantee that the VS 2010 build will work for every possible
external library one could include (yet I didn't stumble into any
failure while testing) and still I could have broken some VS 2005/8
build path too.
The patch could also be extended to automatically support building libpq
when VS 2003 is detected or support other desireable features that
aren't really in the context of supporting VS 2010.

Being somewhat short of time in the next weeks I'm at least willing to
rebase the patch on request and do some more testing or fix issues
someone else has detected before the next release (9.2?) goes beta.

If there's some pressure to support VS 2010 asap - please let me know
and I'll see what I can do.

Best regards,

Brar