Re: READ ONLY fixes

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Jeff Janes" <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: READ ONLY fixes
Date: 2011-01-22 00:08:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I found the following message somewhat confusing:
>> ERROR: read-only property must be set before any query
>
> I think what we need here is two messages, this one and a similar
> one that starts with "read-write property...".

Done. I started out by being cute with plugging "only" or "write"
into a single message, but then figured that might be hard on
translators; so I went with two separate messages.

Also, I noticed we seemed to be using "transaction read-only mode"
and "transaction read-write mode" elsewhere, so I made this
consistent with the others while I was at it. Hopefully that was a
good idea.

>> When a subtransaction has set the mode more stringent than the
>> top-level transaction did, that setting is reversed when the
>> subtransaction ends (whether by success or by rollback), which
>> was discussed as the desired behavior. But the included
>> regression tests do not exercise that case by testing the case
>> where a SAVEPOINT is either rolled back or released. Should
>> those tests be included?
>
> +1.

Done.

-Kevin