Re: patch: SQL/MED(FDW) DDL

From: SAKAMOTO Masahiko <sakamoto(dot)masahiko(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch: SQL/MED(FDW) DDL
Date: 2010-09-27 06:50:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

sorry for my slow response.

(2010/09/24 21:13), Robert Haas wrote:
> This is a good point. On the one hand, I do agree that the API for
> simple things like processing CSV files shouldn't be overly complex.
> So perhaps we could start with a simple API and extend it later. On
> the other hand, understanding how some of the more complex cases ought
> to work provides insight into handling the simpler cases. So I think
> we should aim to have at least a sketch of a design for the whole
> feature, and then if in phase 1 we want to implement only the easier
> parts, that's OK.

Right. In any case, I should clearify what this API could cover
by this patch and what could not.
# And also how far I and my collaborator can implement..

As Itagaki points out, we have two types of FDW implementations in
progress: flat file wrapper and postgresql wrapper. these items are
described in wiki:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SQL/MED

But it may be hard to get what this fdw routines 'could' provide,
so I and my collaborator is now summarizing these items to discuss and
ask for help. Anyway I think these items are needed to discuss further.
- API design that is used in executor for a single external table.
- simple FDW implements to clearfy what this API could provide.

These items will be shown by my collaborator soon.
thanks in advance,

SAKAMOTO Masahiko
NTT Open Source Software Center
e-mail: sakamoto(dot)masahiko(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp