Re: Review: Row-level Locks & SERIALIZABLE transactions, postgres vs. Oracle

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <grimkg(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Florian Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Review: Row-level Locks & SERIALIZABLE transactions, postgres vs. Oracle
Date: 2010-09-24 21:19:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner <grimkg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> This now compiles and passes regression tests. I still need to
> re-run all the other tests which Florian and I previously used to
> test the patch. I don't have any reason to expect that they will
> now fail, but one need to be thorough. Once that is confirmed, I
> think this will be ready for committer unless someone can think of
> something else to throw at it first.

I reran the tests at http://github.com/fgp/fk_concurrency and,
unsurprisingly, it still works.

This patch addresses concerns I heard expressed by a couple guys
from an Oracle shop who wanted to convert to PostgreSQL but were
much put out by the behavior of SELECT FOR UPDATE under snapshot
isolation in PostgreSQL. This patch should do much to ease the
migration of some Oracle shops to PostgreSQL.

A complete review was done in the last CF, but I held off marking it
as Ready for Committer then because there were some more tests
coming, which all looked good.

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4C41932002000025000337FB@gw.wicourts.gov

I am marking this patch "Ready for Committer" now.

-Kevin