Re: Application name patch - v3

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Application name patch - v3
Date: 2010-01-04 21:36:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le 29/12/2009 14:12, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 29/12/2009 00:03, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :

>>> Try here
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4AAE8CCF.9070808@esilo.com
>>>

>> Thanks. I've read all the "new version of PQconnectdb" and "Determining
>> client_encoding from client locale" threads. I think I understand the
>> goal. Still need to re-read this one
>> (http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/6222.1253734019@sss.pgh.pa.us) and
>> completely understand it (will probably need to look at the code, at
>> least the PQconnectdb one). But I'm definitely working on this.
>>

> If I try to sum up my readings so far, this is what we still have to do:
>
> 1. try the one-array approach
> PGconn *PQconnectParams(const char **params)
>
> 2. try the two-arrays approach
> PGconn *PQconnectParams(const char **keywords, const char **values)
>
> Instead of doing a wrapper around PQconnectdb, we need to refactor the
> whole function, so that we can get rid of the parsing of the conninfo
> string (which is quite complicated).
>
> Using psql as an example would be a good idea, AFAICT.
>
> Am I right? did I misunderstand or forget something?

I supposed I was right since noone yell at me :)

I worked on this tonight. You'll find two patches attached, one for the
one-array approach, one for the two-arrays approach. I know some more
factoring can be done (at least, the "get the fallback resources..."
part). I'm OK to do them. I just need to know if I'm on the right track.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Attachment Content-Type Size