Re: [BUG?] strange behavior in ALTER TABLE ... RENAME TO on inherited columns

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [BUG?] strange behavior in ALTER TABLE ... RENAME TO on inherited columns
Date: 2009-12-17 04:30:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It is a patch for the matter which I reported before.

When a column is inherited from multiple relations, ALTER TABLE with
RENAME TO option is problematic.
This patch fixes the matter. In correctly, it prevent to rename columns
inherited from multiple relations and merged.

Also see the past discussion:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-11/msg00138.php

postgres=# CREATE TABLE t1 (a int, b int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# CREATE TABLE t2 (b int, c int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# CREATE TABLE t3 (x text) inherits (t1, t2);
NOTICE: merging multiple inherited definitions of column "b"
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# SELECT * FROM t3;
a | b | c | x
---+---+---+---
(0 rows)

It looks to me fine.

postgres=# ALTER TABLE t1 RENAME b TO y;
ALTER TABLE
postgres=# SELECT * FROM t3;
a | y | c | x
---+---+---+---
(0 rows)

postgres=# SELECT * FROM t1;
a | y
---+---
(0 rows)

It looks to me fine.

postgres=# SELECT * FROM t2;
ERROR: could not find inherited attribute "b" of relation "t3"

Oops, when we refer the t3 via t2, it expects the inherited relation
also has the column "b", but it was already renamed.

One trouble is regression test. The misc_create test create a_star
table, then it is inherited by b_star and c_star, then these are
inherited to d_star table. Then misc test rename the a_star.a, but
this patch prevent it.

It looks like works well, but it is a corner case, because d_star.a
is eventually inherited from a_star via b_star and c_star, and these
are all the inherited relations.
In generally, we don't have reasonable way to rename all the related
columns upper and lower of the inheritance relationship.

Thanks,

--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC

pgsql-fix-inherit-rename.patch text/x-patch 2.2 KB