Re: tsearch parser inefficiency if text includes urls or emails - new version

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: tsearch parser inefficiency if text includes urls or emails - new version
Date: 2009-12-08 15:23:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:

> Frankly, I'd be amazed if there was a performance regression,

OK, I'm amazed. While it apparently helps some cases dramatically
(Andres had a case where run time was reduced by 93.2%), I found a
pretty routine case where run time was increased by 3.1%. I tweaked
the code and got that down to a 2.5% run time increase. I'm having
troubles getting it any lower than that. And yes, this is real, not
noise -- the slowest unpatched time for this test is faster than the
fastest time with any version of the patch. :-(

Andres, could you provide more information on the test which showed
the dramatic improvement? In particular, info on OS, CPU, character
set, encoding scheme, and what kind of data was used for the test.

I'll do some more testing and try to figure out how the patch is
slowing things down and post with details.

-Kevin