Re: pgbench: new feature allowing to launch shell commands

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pgbench: new feature allowing to launch shell commands
Date: 2009-12-02 06:55:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here's a first round of review of the patch submitted at
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/c64c5f8b0910252350w42f7ea13g52a6a88a86143374@mail.gmail.com

This is moving along nicely, and is now working (with some hacking) for
the one use case I wanted it for. High-level summary of what I think
needs to get done before this is ready to commit:

1) Needs tab/space formatting cleaned up
2) "Execution of meta-command failed" errors are a small but serious problem
3) Should consider how :variable interpretation should work in a
\[set]shell call
4) General code cleanup, including possible refactoring
5) Update pgbench docs to cover new calls. I hoped to find time to help
with this, it looks like I'm not going to have it in the near future.
6) Should do basic performance regression testing to confirm this patch
doesn't impact pgbench results that don't use the new feature. This
I'll take care of, I'm not particularly worried about that based on
what's been changed so far.

Details:

This revision is much improved over the earlier ones. No problems
applying the patch, and the basics work as expected. One bit of code
formatting nitpicking: there are some spots where the code doesn't line
up horizontally as expected. I'm seeing lines spaced across with tabs
mixed with ones where spaces were used, at least one line where I think
you formatted presuming 8-character tabs. That's kind of painful to
expect a committer to clean up. See
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ#What.27s_the_formatting_style_used_in_PostgreSQL_source_code.3F
for more details about expectations here.

Attached are the scripts I used for testing the feature:

skewed-acct.pl : perl script that takes in the number of accounts and
picks one with a skewed Pareto-ish distribution: 80% of the time, one
from the first 20% of the accounts is picked.
skewed-select.sql : pgbench script that calls the script
skewed-test.sh : Little test program to confirm that the Perl code works
as it's supposed to, for anyone who wants to hack on it for some reason
(my Perl is miserable)

Here's what I did to test:

sudo ln -s `pwd`/skewed-acct.pl /usr/local/bin
createdb pgbench
pgbench -i -s 10 pgbench
pgbench -T 10 -j 4 -c 8 -S pgbench
pgbench -T 10 -j 4 -c 8 -f skewed-select.sql pgbench

Baseline gives me about 20K selects/second, with the shell call in the
middle that dropped to around 400/second. Since we know shell calls are
expensive that's not too much of a surprise. It does make an
interesting statement about the overhead here though--if you want to
instrument something you expect to execute thousands of times a second,
that's probably not going to be possible using these calls. I didn't
try yet to see how small I could make the shell overhead smaller (using
a simpler script instead of the current Perl one, minimizing the number
of characters in the pgbench script)

To watch what was happening, I needed to toggle on "log_statement=all".
That will confirm that the skew was working properly, which is good to
see because it didn't as I originally wrote it. There are two
functional problems that jumped right out at me with the implementation.

First, sometimes the call fails. On every run, I'm getting one or more
of these (note that each of the 4 threads has two clients running
against it, 0 and 1):

setshell: error getting parameterClient 0 aborted in state 1. Execution
of meta-command failed.
setshell: error getting parameterClient 1 aborted in state 1. Execution
of meta-command failed.

Right near the end. Am guessing there's some last-transaction cleanup
going awry. Don't know why that is, and will be curious if it can be
reproduced.

A much more insidious issues is that shell and setshell don't do
interpretation of pgbench variables like ":naccounts". The way I
originally wrote skewed-select.sql (which you can still see commented
out in the attached version) it looked like this:

\set naccounts 100000 * :scale
\setshell aid skewed-acct.pl :naccounts
SELECT abalance FROM pgbench_accounts WHERE aid = :aid;

This didn't work through--that was calling the script with the literal
text ":naccounts" rather than the value for that. Similarly, when I
tried to add some debugging bits to the end like this:

\shell echo :aid

That just printed ":aid" rather than the value. I would like to see
both of these work as written above (the versions commented out in the
attached sample).

Now, it's possible to work around that limitation in some cases--the
attached version just hard-codes in the number of accounts given the
scale I was testing at. This isn't really ideal though. Unfortunately
for you, the way :variable decoding is handling inside pgbench right now
doesn't even have to consider things like quoting. The variable
decoding is done at the exact places it makes sense at, rather than
being done more globally. That means the existing replacement logic
can't be re-used for this feature. And we can certainly expect that
shell commands might have a ":" in them anyway, so doing this right ends
up leading toward things like making "::" be a ":" that doesn't get
substituted.

Maybe this whole issue can be avoided as just being more complicated
than this feature justifies. I think people will be surprised, and find
this not as useful as it could be, unless this is done though.

Also, this doesn't work

\setshell :aid skewed-acct.pl 1000000

Which I think will surprise people. If there's a : as the first
character of the second field here, it should just get clipped off.

As for more general code review, one thing that jumped out at me was this:

if (fgets(res, 64, respipe) == NULL)

This should use sizeof(res) instead of hard-coding its size like that here.

So far as general structure goes, actually adding the variable
substitution complexity to the shell/setshell code is going to make it
even more complicated, and it already sticks out as badly fitting into
doCustom as it is. I suspect this capability will make for a really
unmanagable result. Maybe refactor the new shell stuff a bit into
another subroutine now that you've finished the main guts? doCustom
feels like it's grown way beyond its original purpose here with this
patch, it was on the edge of that before you started--and these two new
commands are by far the most complicated.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
skewed-acct.pl application/x-perl 1.0 KB
skewed-select.sql text/x-sql 289 bytes
skewed-test.sh application/x-sh 402 bytes