Re: Review of "SQLDA support for ECPG"

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Review of "SQLDA support for ECPG"
Date: 2009-10-08 11:15:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas írta:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:
>
>> Noah Misch írta:
>>
>>> I will report on the sqlda patch in more detail on
>>> 2009-10-10.
>>>
>> I am attaching a new one, please review this. Changes:
>> - set sqllen, sqlind, sqlilen and sqlitype per-field properties
>> - SQLINT8 and SQLSERIAL8 are ECPGt_long on 64-bit, not ECPGt_long_long
>>

>>> The one concern that's clear now is a lack of documentation update.
>>>

>> That will come in a separate patch.
>>

> What's the point of that? It can't be applied without documentation,
> and it just makes life more complicated to have two separate patch
> files floating around.
>
> ...Robert

It's easier to write the documentation for all changes at once.
I would have the same situation that happened with the code,
the patches with the documentation added would strictly depend
on each other again. Also, Michael Meskes applied the "string"
pseudo-type patch without the documentation, despite the patch
had it, maybe at an improper place. With a tongue-in-cheek
"no comment" ;-) I point to this paragraph in the ECPG part of
the documentation:

"This documentation is quite incomplete. But since this interface is
standardized,
additional information can be found in many resources about SQL."

The doc patch is attached. Details:
- documented "string" pseudo-type
- documented two more statements under section
"Additional embedded SQL statements" which is now called
"Additional/missing embedded SQL statements"
This is about the current state of ECPG, no code changed.
- document that INTO and USING are interchangeable if
the target is a Descriptor Areas
- document that the SQL keyword is not optional for DAs
- document SQLDA
- document DESCRIBE in section "Using SQL Descriptor Areas"

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

--
Bible has answers for everything. Proof:
"But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more

Zoltán Böszörményi
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
http://www.postgresql.at/

Attachment Content-Type Size