Re: pg_hba.conf: samehost and samenet [REVIEW]

From: Stef Walter <stef-list(at)memberwebs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf: samehost and samenet [REVIEW]
Date: 2009-09-30 16:16:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I was just poking at this.

Thanks for trying it out.

It seems to need rather a lot of
> editorialization (eg to fix the lack of consistency about whether
> nonstandard headers have configure tests, or bother to make use of the
> tests that did get added).

I've now added tests for sys/ioctl.h and net/if.h even though these
headers seemed to be common to all the unixes investigated.

The test for ifaddrs.h is to allow the test for getifaddrs() later in
configure.in to work. This is how other open source projects have
handled this situation, but if you'd like me to do it differently for
postgres I can.

> However, it does actually compile and appear
> to work on HPUX 10.20, which is my personal benchmark for hopeless
> obsolescence ;-).

Good news.

So modulo the issue about how much we trust the
> system-reported netmasks, it seems we could adopt this.

FWIW, there are checks for various bad netmasks. I incorporated these
techniques after seeing them in the corresponding postfix code.

BTW, there's also fallback code. If none of the methods work on a given
OS, then the ifaddrs code just lists 127.0.0.1/8 and ::1/128.

Cheers,

Stef

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgres-hba-samenet-8.patch text/x-diff 28.4 KB