Re: generic copy options

From: Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)asterdata(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)asterdata(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Emmanuel Cecchet <Emmanuel(dot)Cecchet(at)asterdata(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: generic copy options
Date: 2009-09-17 15:07:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I wonder though if we couldn't simplify matters. Offhand it seems to me
> that psql doesn't need to validate the command's syntax fully. All it
> really needs to do is find the target filename and replace it with
> STDIN/STDOUT. Could we have it just treat the remainder of the line
> literally, and not worry about the details of what the options might be?
> Let the backend worry about throwing an error if they're bad.

New version with the simplified psql. Still supports the 7.3 syntax.
I am going to look into porting the other COPY enhancements (error
logging and autopartitioning) on this implementation. We might come up
with new ideas for the documentation side of things with more options.

manu

--
Emmanuel Cecchet
Aster Data Systems

Attachment Content-Type Size
copy-newsyntax-patch-8.5v4.txt text/plain 43.7 KB