Re: Using results from INSERT ... RETURNING

From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>
To: PostgreSQL hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using results from INSERT ... RETURNING
Date: 2009-08-29 23:18:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

This WIP patch refactors the executor by creating nodes for DML (INSERT,
UPDATE, DELETE). It is designed both to clean up the executor and to
help with making it possible to use (INSERT|UPDATE|DELETE) ...RETURNING
inside a WITH clause. At first I thought about removing
PlannedStmt::returningLists, but there are a couple of places where it's
still used, and having it there won't hurt so I didn't touch it.
ExecInitDml() could still be better.

Does anyone see something seriously wrong with it? Ideas and further
improvements are welcome too.

Attached to the upcoming commitfest.

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja