RFD: Discarded tuple count for SeqScan nodes in EXPLAIN ANALYZE

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RFD: Discarded tuple count for SeqScan nodes in EXPLAIN ANALYZE
Date: 2009-05-22 13:29:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

When analyzing the plan of a query I often find myself questioning
whether an additional index may be sensible, or if it is sensible that a
SeqScan is used if an index is available.

The current EXPLAIN ANALYZE only shows the number of tuples matching the
qualifier of an SeqScan Node - for analyzing the above situation it is
at least equally interesting how many tuples were read and discarded.

Therefore I produced a patch which adds a 'discarded=%f' part to the
analyze output.
As this is only a RFD the implementation is a bit hackish at the moment
- the discarded counter is increased in execScan directly instead of a
helper routine in instrument.c.
Also the discarded count is displayed in other node types as well - for
some there might be a sensible semantic meaning to it...

Good idea - Bad idea?

Greetings,

Andres