Re: including backend ID in relpath of temp rels - updated patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: including backend ID in relpath of temp rels - updated patch
Date: 2010-08-05 23:05:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> [ BackendRelFileNode patch ]

One thing that I find rather distressing about this is the 25% bloat
in sizeof(SharedInvalidationMessage). Couldn't we avoid that? Is it
really necessary to *ever* send an SI message for a backend-local rel?

I agree that one needs to send relcache inval sometimes for temp rels,
but I don't see why each backend couldn't interpret that as a flush
on its own local version.