Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Amit Kapila" <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source
Date: 2014-04-18 11:51:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: "Amit Kapila" <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
> Currently -e option is accepted with all the options that can be provided
> in pg_ctl. Shouldn't we accept it only with options related to service,
> because that is only when it will be used. Basically write_stderr() will
> write to event log only incase of service.

Thank you for your kind and patient review. I hope this will bear fruit.

I don't find it so strange that -e is accepted by all operation modes of
pg_ctl --- pg_ctl seems to handle switches that way. For example, -c is
only relevant to start and restart, but it is accepted by all modes. -D is
not relevant to pg_ctl kill, but it is not rejected. Plus, I prepared for
the future possibility that other modes of pg_ctl will use event log.

> Another minor point is you have forgotten to remove below declaration:
> + static void get_config_value(const char *name, char *buf, int buf_size);

Oh, removed.

> Sorry for delayed response and I am not sure that I will be able to
> complete the review of patch in next few days as I will be on vacation.

OK, I'm waiting for you. Please have a nice vacation.

Regards
MauMau

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_ctl_eventsrc_v8.patch application/octet-stream 9.6 KB