Re: Escaping from blocked send() reprised.

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com
Cc: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Escaping from blocked send() reprised.
Date: 2014-08-28 12:47:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, sorry for the dazed reply in the previous mail.

I made revised patch for this issue.

Attached patches are following,

- 0001_Revise_socket_emulation_for_win32_backend.patch

Revises socket emulation on win32 backend so that each socket
can have its own blocking mode state.

- 0002_Allow_backend_termination_during_write_blocking.patch

The patch to solve the issue. This patch depends on the 0001_
patch.

==========

> > I'm marking this as Waiting on Author in the commitfest app, because:
> > 1. the protocol violation needs to be avoided one way or another, and
> > 2. the behavior needs to be consistent so that a single
> > pg_terminate_backend() is enough to always kill the connection.

- Preventing protocol violation.

To prevent protocol violation, secure_write sets
ClientConnectionLost when SIGTERM detected, then
internal_flush() and ProcessInterrupts() follow the
instruction.

- Single pg_terminate_backend surely kills the backend.

secure_raw_write() uses non-blocking socket and a loop of
select() with timeout to surely detects received
signal(SIGTERM).

To avoid frequent switching of blocking mode, the bare socket
for Port is put to non-blocking mode from the first in
StreamConnection() and blocking mode is controlled only by
Port->noblock in secure_raw_read/write().

To make the code mentioned above (Patch 0002) tidy, rewrite the
socket emulation code for win32 backends so that each socket
can have its own non-blocking state. (patch 0001)

Some concern about this patch,

- This patch allows the number of non-blocking socket to be below
64 (FD_SETSIZE) on win32 backend but it seems to be sufficient.

- This patch introduced redundant socket emulation for win32
backend but win32 bare socket for Port is already nonblocking
as described so it donsn't seem to be a serious problem on
performance. Addition to it, since I don't know the reason why
win32/socket.c provides the blocking-mode socket emulation, I
decided to preserve win32/socket.c to have blocking socket
emulation. Possibly it can be removed.

Any suggestions?

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001_Revise_socket_emulation_for_win32_backend.patch text/x-patch 6.9 KB
0002_Allow_backend_termination_during_write_blocking.patch text/x-patch 8.5 KB