Re: Extension Templates S03E11

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Date: 2013-11-25 16:38:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri,

* Dimitri Fontaine (dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr) wrote:
> As the path didn't make it already, yes it needs another (final) round
> of review. The main difficulty in reviewing is understanding the design
> and the relation in between our current model of extensions and what
> this patch offers.

I'm afraid this really needs more work, at least of the more mundane
kind. I started working through this patch, but when I hit on
"get_template_oid", I was reminded of the discussion we had back in
January around using just 'template' everywhere.

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130118182156.GF16126@tamriel.snowman.net

We already have other 'template' objects in the system and I'm not
excited about the confusion. This also applies to 'CreateTemplate',
'CreateTemplateTupleDesc', right down to 'template.h' and 'template.c'.

Attached is a patch against v16 which fixes up a few documentation
issues (I'm pretty sure extension templates and aggregates are
unrelated..), and points out that there is zero documentation on these
new catalog tables (look for 'XXX' in the patch) along with a few
other areas which could use improvement.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment Content-Type Size
ext_templates_v16-sfrost.patch text/x-diff 14.5 KB