pluggable compression support

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pluggable compression support
Date: 2013-06-14 23:01:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

While hacking on the indirect toast support I felt the need to find out
how make compression formats pluggable to make sure .

In
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20130605150144.GD28067%40alap2.anarazel.de
I submitted an initial patch that showed some promising results.

Here's a more cleaned up version which isn't intermingled with indirect
toast tuple support anymore.

It still contains a guc as described in the above message to control the
algorithm used for compressing new tuples but I think we should remove
that guc after testing.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

0001-Add-snappy-compression-algorithm-to-contrib.patch text/x-patch 51.4 KB
0002-pluggable-compression.patch text/x-patch 16.0 KB