Re: lazy_vacuum_heap()'s removal of HEAPTUPLE_DEAD tuples

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: lazy_vacuum_heap()'s removal of HEAPTUPLE_DEAD tuples
Date: 2013-01-23 02:45:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah,

* Noah Misch (noah(at)leadboat(dot)com) wrote:
> The attached update fixes both
> problems. (I have also attached the unchanged backpatch-oriented fix to keep
> things together.)

I've just started looking at/playing with this patch and was wondering
if you'd missed Jeff's comments on it..? I note that prev_dead_count is
still in this patch- any particular reason..? Also, perhaps we should
consider Simon's one-liner fix for backpatching this instead of the
original patch you posted?

To be honest, I'm also a bit concerned about applying the patch you
provided for HEAD this late in the 9.3 cycle, especially if the plan is
to make further changes in this area to simplify things moving forward.
Perhaps we could do all of those changes early in the 9.4 cycle?

Thanks,

Stephen