Re: missing rename support

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Ali Dar <ali(dot)munir(dot)dar(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: missing rename support
Date: 2013-01-18 18:20:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Ali Dar (ali(dot)munir(dot)dar(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> Find attached an initial patch for ALTER RENAME RULE feature. Please
> note that it does not have any documentation yet.

Just took a quick look through this. Seems to be alright, but why do we
allow renaming ON SELECT rules at all, given that they must be named
_RETURN? My thinking would be to check for that case and error out if
someone tries it.

You should try to keep variables lined up:

Relation pg_rewrite_desc;
HeapTuple ruletup;
+ Oid owningRel;

should be:

Relation pg_rewrite_desc;
HeapTuple ruletup;
+ Oid owningRel;

I'd also strongly recommend looking through that entire function very
carefully. Code that's been #ifdef'd out tends to rot.

Thanks,

Stephen