Re: recursive view syntax

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: recursive view syntax
Date: 2013-01-18 15:00:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Peter Eisentraut (peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net) wrote:
> I noticed we don't implement the recursive view syntax, even though it's
> part of the standard SQL feature set for recursive queries. Here is a
> patch to add that. It basically converts
>
> CREATE RECURSIVE VIEW name (columns) AS SELECT ...;

> CREATE VIEW name AS WITH RECURSIVE name (columns) AS (SELECT ...) SELECT
> columns FROM name;

I've done another review of this patch and it looks pretty good to me.
My only complaint is that there isn't a single comment inside
makeRecursiveViewSelect().

One other thought is- I'm guessing this isn't going to work:

CREATE RECURSIVE VIEW name (columns) AS WITH ... SELECT ...;

Does the spec explicitly allow or disallow that? Should we provide any
comments about it?

Thanks,

Stephen