Re: Avoiding repeated snapshot computation

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Avoiding repeated snapshot computation
Date: 2011-11-26 20:42:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Saturday, November 26, 2011 04:52:50 PM Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> I think now that we have reduced the run time of the function itself,
> we should now try to reduce the number of times the function is
> called. Robert proposed a way to reduce the number of calls per
> transaction. I think we can go one more step further and reduce the
> number for across the transactions.
You could also try if it makes a difference reducing SnapshotData to one
instead of two cachelines. The data itself fits into one without problems.
Trivial patch attached.

Generally I think we should check that for most of the more commonly used
strutures, we have many with too much padding.

Andres

Attachment Content-Type Size
snapshotdata-one-cacheline.patch text/x-patch 1.2 KB